Handong Global University, God’s university for higher education, seeks to serve the society, the nation and the world by cultivating men and women of God equipped intellectually, morally, and spiritually.
We, the professors of HGU, form the core component of the university to fulfill such an objective. As scholars and educators with the Evangelical Christian Worldview, we are to pursue the integration of faith, life and academia.
Upon its twelfth anniversary, the Handong Professors Honor Code is established in order to present a model of the HGU professorship. It is to be taken as a standard of ethics specifying both the responsibilities and rights of the professors. This Code is not to be used as a ground to regulate or punish professors’ behavior and thought. Rather, it is to be used autonomously as a code of conduct to help discern what proper actions are to be taken in situations where such ethical discernment is needed.
We, the professors of HGU, shall take the initiatives to participate in the growth of HGU as God’s university by realizing their spiritual, academic and moral responsibilities as Christian scholars and respecting the intent and objectives of the Handong Professors Honor Code.
Article I. Responsibility to ourselves
We, the HGU professors, with the assurance of salvation and calling to professorship, are to do our best to lead holy and honest lives as new creation in Christ with continual endeavor for more maturity.
1. We believe in the triune God. Having received Jesus as Christ the Savior, with the assurance of salvation, we place our hope in the resurrection, the eternal life and the Kingdom of heaven.
2. Being called to professorship for the glory of God, we are acutely conscious of our vocation to serve students and the society in the present age.
3. We strive to live a godly life of worship in the presence of God.
4. We guard against any value systems or behavioral habits that impede the desired godly life (such as smoking, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, gambling, and sexual promiscuity).
5. In accordance with our conscience we strive to be honest and courageous in words and deeds.
Article II. Responsibility to our families
We, the HGU professors, assume the duties and responsibilities of taking care of our own families with the love of Christ.
1. We are faithful to our spouses in performing our duties and responsibilities for them.
2. We are faithful in nurturing our children according to the Word of God.
3. We respect our parents and assume the duty of supporting them.
4. Through family devotions, we cultivate a family filled with grace and love.
5. We foster our family to be a community living in conjunction with neighbors.
Article III. Responsibility to education and research
We, the HGU professors, take education as our primary responsibility. We seek to conduct research in accordance with the educational objectives, to integrate faith and learning with the integrity of Christian scholarship, to pursue academic excellence, and to contribute to the society at large through the processes and results of our professional work.
1. We, as Christian educators, do our best to provide high quality lectures by thorough and timely preparation.
2. We, as professors of an education-oriented university, conduct research in relation to the education we provide, in order to find God’s truth.
3. The processes and the results of our research are to be in line with the objectives of HGU, and as such they are to make contribution to the welfare of the society.
4. As conscientious Christian scholars integrating faith and learning, we pursue the truth and truthful values.
5. By actively participating in various academic seminars and conferences, we engage in our own professional development as well as the advancement of academia at large.
Article IV. Responsibility to our students
We, the HGU professors, maintain the honor and dignity of teachers with love and patience towards students. We assume the responsibility of teaching students for their intellectual, moral and spiritual development in order for them to participate in the work of changing the world.
1. We consider the honor and dignity of teachers as valuable as we educate students with the love and patience of God.
2. We respect all students (as God’s image-bearers) and treat them with fairness under all circumstances.
3. As we conduct teams, the core of our character education, we counsel students through various means for their current study programs, for their spiritual journey and for their future careers.
4. With the heart of godparents, we provide care for the students so that they would adjust well in the life of a team, a new home away from home.
5. In a student-faculty relationship, we do not seek private benefits nor do we get involved in any indecent ties.
V. Responsibility to the school
We, the HGU professors, understand and take initiatives to fulfill the vision and the educational philosophy of the university, respect and honor the colleagues for shalom of the community, observe all the rules and regulations, and act responsibly outside the university as representing HGU.
1. We understand the vision of the university and strive to put it into practice in order to strengthen and enlarge its capacity for the Kingdom of God.
2. We respect and honor our colleagues in order to establish a community of faith and love.
3. We strive to develop, refine and abide by all the rules and regulations for shalom of the community.
4. According to the educational philosophy of the university, we do our best to educate students in order for them to develop intellectually, morally and spiritually.
5. Externally, we conduct ourselves appropriately as representing the university.
Article VI. Responsibility to Church
We, the HGU professors, commit ourselves to local churches in order to fulfill the will of the Christ, the head of Church.
1. We commit ourselves to the membership of a local church either inside or outside HGU.
2. We attend regular services and meetings of a local church as well as serve in a department or a committee of the church.
3. We actively participate in the networking of local churches.
4. We actively participate in various ministries of the local churches such as almsgiving and social services.
5. We actively join the church ministries such as evangelical and missionary works.
Article VII. Responsibility to our society and the world
We, the HGU professors, as the salt and light of the world, seek the Kingdom of God in our society and the world.
1. We endeavor to contribute to the welfare of the society and the world through our professional expertise.
2. We do our best to promote the ecological, social, and global conditions of our environment based on creation science.
3. Under emergent circumstances of the society and the world, we actively participate in the problem solving processes.
4. We participate actively in establishing systems and policies for the justice of the society and the world.
5. We commit ourselves to global evangelism by preaching the gospel of Christ to all societies and nations.